Monday, August 29, 2011

Pretty Chairs All in a Row {A Seat Cover Tut}

A couple years ago my sweet mother-in-law passed along this set of four chairs.




Here's one of them in the cover she put on herself a good while back.



It was time for a bit of a change, especially when it needn't cost much change. ;)  I found this fabric on Clearance at Hobby Lobby for $10 a yard.  I love this fabric - it has kind of a sweet, traditional, almost vintage feel that seems work naturally with the look of the chair.

Only needed one yard for the four chairs.  Also needed a heavy duty staple gun, kindly lent by Sister and Andy.



Taking off the old upholstery was as simple as turning the chair over and taking out the screws holding it down.  Then I just pulled up the fabric (with my hands but pliers would be helpful).  Then I used the old piece of upholstery as a template for cutting the new.



The batting was still in good enough shape, but you could easily add or replace a layer of cotton or poly batting if needed.




Here it is stapled all around.  Be sure to pull it snugly about the sides.



Then fitted back on the chairs, with screws back in. 



 I was so surprised with how easy this project was. Why, oh why, didn't I do this long ago?
My sweetheart even pronounced that it's my best DIY project to date... not sure what that says about my previous efforts, but I'll take the compliment!




See other simple-lovely tutorials {HERE}







16 comments:

  1. So pretty! I love that fabric!! I found you via Tip Junkie and clicked over because I redid a chair this week, too! Check me out! http://kelleighratzlaff.com/life/the-friday-five-too-many-chairs/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cailan...those are gorgeous and I just love the chair design! You are one lucky girl to have inherited the set! What pretty fabric you chose, too! I just love your decorating style:).


    ~Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are awesome, sister- way to go making them soo lovely AND making your husband happy too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That style of chair seat is the best for fast changes.. love it. One time I wante to dress mine up evenmore so I tucked in a sweet little ruffle .. looked like they had on little skirts.. it was quite nice.

    Maddie

    ReplyDelete
  5. these look very classy. you did a beautiful job on them!! wow!
    ~Jennifer and Jaimee

    ReplyDelete
  6. love love love!!!! what a transformation!!!! Great fabric!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are just lovely. Thanks for showing the picture of removing the screw. I never knew you could unscrew the seat without 'hurting' the chair, LOL! Visiting from Show and Tell Wednesday.
    ~ Kimberlee at The Spunky Diva 

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the design/colors you picked - it makes the chairs look totally different. So, SO Beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely chairs and great pics! I recently scored a chair similar to this on the side of the road (dangerously close). Of course, I picked it up. It is my plan to paint it white and redo the seat in a fabric that is fit for a ballarina room!

    Will be posting it at behindthedesigns.blogspot.com -hope you come and visit

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous chairs! I love the fabric and you did a great job on the tutorial. I'd like to invite you to share it at my Twirl & Take a Bow party at www.houseontheway.com. It's today through Sunday. Hope you can stop by!
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete