Wednesday, November 23, 2011

A Granny Square Pincushion


Eleven years ago I had just learned how to crochet, but all I could manage was the granny square.  I was making lots of granny square blankets, crocheting around and around the square.  My abilities were limited, but I loved being able to create something with that little hook and a ball of yarn.

Then one day in November 2000, I was leafing through the coveted, new Martha Stewart magazine in the grocery aisle and remember my wonderful excitement when beheld these granny square pincushions. They seemed so beautifully exquisite to my eyes then, and all you needed to know...was how to make a granny square.  I could do that. 

I never bought magazines, but that one came home with me. 



I went to the  little yarn shop in our neighborhood.  And the sweet old ladies who worked there helped me pick out some cotton pearl thread. 



And a size 8 crochet needle.




I went to work making these miniature little granny squares, stitched them together and inserted a little cotton pillow I managed to sew on the machine, stuffed with sawdust.



That year I gave them as Christmas presents to anyone I thought would care to have such a thing.  It was such a new and wonderful joy for me....to give something lovely I had made with my own hands. 


So now in November 2011 I thought I'd share this old Martha idea with you as Christmas approaches.  If you already know how to crochet, you'll be delighted with how quickly you can whip one of these together.  If you don't know how, there is no time like the present to enlist a kind, crocheting lady to teach you, or go {here} for a wonderful lesson in the basics, and {here} for the granny square in particular.



Hope you are enjoying a lovely week.  And happy Christmas shopping...or crocheting to you. :)



{Linking to Just a Girl}


3 comments:

  1. Can I just tell you how excited I am to have found this post?! Ecstatic actually...I just renewed my love of crotcheting and have been getting bored with what I'm making...
    And NOW I can make these because of this awesome post!
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have one you gave me from our high school days! :) It is still just as lovely and I always think of you when I see it. Love, Joelle

    ReplyDelete